Tuesday, October 5, 2010

4.Wk8_Medieval Times 4

The Queens in medieval times wore very elaborate gowns. These medieval gowns were tubes of fabric fastened together at the shoulders. The medieval costumes also included garments called ‘surcoats’.  The  girls wore lots of  cloaks made from wool. . The gown became ankle length and the girdle became less prominent. The sleeves became wider at the elbows and contrasting bands of colors adorning the edges. Tunics were adapted to resemble a dress also became a favorite with the young girls. The clothing of the medieval times was very comfortable. The french girls wore cottie hardie which was also worn by men. The cotte hardie were dresses made really high to completely cover the neck.Thier belts were made by cotton. The medieval girl dress was also combined with linen caps and had lappets going over the shoulders. Women wore a broad band, which was tied under the chin. That helped to frame their face. Some women had to stitch their own clothes made of coarse wool or even trade their clothes for goods. The peasant women generally wore a long dress. Most of the clothing was handed down through the families.

2 comments:

  1. I've never been big on wearing dresses, but these ones sound even more complicated! And what if it was made of scratchy material! That's the beginning of a very bad day. Dresses that cover your whole neck, wow the first turtle-necks! Those hats sound really weird. I don't think I'd want to wear one even if it did frame my face. Even if I don't like the clothes, this was a good post. It was informative and, most importantly, it reminds me why I wouldn't want to be alive in Medieval Times. At least, not without a change of clothes, anyway. Of course, wearing modern clothes might get me killed or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Work Sophia. I felt that this Medieval women had such beautiful colors to work with to stand out, at how their creativity was. I bet many fashion agencies learned alot and kind of wanted to resemble the colors of thier clothing by getting ideas. I really enjoyed the part were you stated how they made their clothes form materials I never even heard of (with the exeption of cotton.) I think the women who made their own clothing struggled to because, in their time they had a spindle. In our time we have a sewing machine or a machine that we program to do for us, so we do not have to do ourselves (lazy butts). So again, Great Work Sophia.

    ReplyDelete